Digital Marketing is an extremely effective form of marketing, most small businesses know this, but don’t know where to start.
Below we have compiled some of our top digital marketing tips for your small business to reach success.
CHECK OUT THE COMPETITION
A great place to start when considering changing your digital marketing approach is to look at your competitors and other successful businesses in your industry and see what methods they are using.
A simple google search of your industry and area will provide a list of similar businesses and allow you to view what ads they are running, take into account their approach and differentiate.
But how can you differentiate from all the other similar businesses who provide a similar service? Entrepreneur.com says: “If you have no differentiator (and many start-ups don’t), invent one”.
CONTENT IS KING
If you want to drive traffic to your website, start by creating quality content. Content includes everything from striking info-graphs and intuitive videos to professional graphics and informative blog content.
Creating quality content produces many benefits, such as:
Mass improvement in social media engagement as it gives your clients/followers something to share and talk about.
- Consistently posting out branded content keeps your business fresh in the mind of your viewers, increasing your credibility as a brand.
- It’s great for SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) Google appreciates fresh, regular and quality content, helping you rank higher in search results.
- Producing long-form content like relevant blogs gives you something to post about and link back to on your social media channel.
IS YOUR WEBSITE UP TO SCRATCH?
Creating quality content to drive traffic back to your website is all well and good but one of, if not the biggest factor in digital marketing is your website, if it isn’t up to scratch, people aren’t going to stick around.
As we transfer into a more mobile-first world, website speed can be a very large factor in whether or not a visitor becomes a client.
There are many ways to improve page speed such as: Optimizing images, enabling compression, reducing redirects, improving server response time, etc.
The overall look of your website is also a huge factor in how your potential clients perceive your business, you must look for any elements that may turn people away from your site, such as, low quality imagery, unprofessional logo’s, uneven text, etc.
DIGITAL MARKETING – SOCIAL MEDIA
Social Media is one of the most effective forms of digital marketing to increase awareness of your business, leading to more clients.
Some sure-fire ways to keep on top of your social media include:
- Choose your social platforms wisely, being active on every social media platform available is a common mistake made by many small businesses as it can be very time consuming for a smaller team, instead, research what platforms work best for other businesses in your industry and focus on those.
- Use scheduling tools such as Buffer or Hootsuite to schedule your content in advance, allowing you to stay ahead and giving you the ability to experiment with posting times to get the most engagement.
- Influencer Marketing – Research members in your industry/field with a large social following and try to engage with them, maybe offer a favour in exchange for a share on their page.
- Free analytics – The larger social channels such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn give free analytic reports on how your page is performing, allowing you to monitor and improve.
- Regularly produce high quality content with accompanying graphics and/or video that is on brand and official giving your pages a much more professional look, this also includes profile and cover photos/banners.
If you think this is too much work for your business to carry out in-house and are interested in outsourcing your digital marketing, click here.